Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thankful Thursday


Thankfulness is good for the soul, it refreshes perspective and aligns your heart. "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High!" Psalm 92:1. I was so encouraged to find this new weekly meme over at KD's at A Bit Squirrelly, because a new perspective and alignment was just what I needed.


I woke up Wednesday morning with the heaviness of the election results on my mind and heart. If you follow my blog, you know that I have avoided politics, but I believe that the Lord has given me a fresh perspective and I feel so convicted to share it with you.


I am a staunch conservative... so much so, that I have cringed at the "We want change," message countless times. And how very narrow-minded and naive I have been in doing so. Hiding behind my conservative fortress, I have denied myself of the Bigger picture of our nation and the world. The idea that Our Heavenly Father could be doing something far greater than Republican or Democratic or Libertarian, was beyond my limited perspective.


Because I do want change. I cannot sit back and pretend that I am satisfied with this nation- the greed, materialism, vanity, filth, selfishness and pride that roars in the heart of our fine nation. My heart grieves over the broken families, the disdain for human life, the garbage that is on television and the Internet and in the media, the over consumption that has left millions wholly unsatisfied, the hypocrisy in the Body of Christ that terrifies those who do not know God's great grace.


There he is, Barack Obama, a zealot with a message of hope- that truly ignites a nation, that brings millions with him in this quest for change. Many of those people are evangelical Christians. And so Tuesday night I sat terrified as I saw the polls close and the electoral college votes added to the ticker. Terrified that this might be the end of our great nation. Terrified that this man could lead us into poverty and moral bankruptcy. Terrified by my very limited perspective. How very small of me to question the Lord's sovereignty.


The idea that the Lord may have created this man for the purpose of transforming this nation into a wonderful nation. That America, with its abundance of resources, would be a blessing to other nations, and a key nation in fulfilling the Great Commission. With Obama's beautiful diversity, his eloquence of speech, his passion, his vision, his zeal- he could do mighty things for God's kingdom.


And so I am THANKFUL for a renewed perspective. I am thankful for the opportunity to tear off the mask of Republican and ask for forgiveness. I am thankful for the conviction to bend a knee and humbly ask the Lord to do a mighty and glorious work in the heart of Obama. I am thankful that God answers prayer and is able to change a man's heart and convict him regarding morality and the sanctity of God's awesome works. I am thankful that God is allowing me to be a part of His great work. I am thankful that He is worthy. I am thankful that I believe that you brothers and sisters that are reading this are being convicted to pray in a way that you may not have for the past 8 years.


God can do miraculous things in the heart of a man. Do not forget King Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 3:28-29, or King Darius in Daniel 6:26, or the Apostle Paul in Acts 9:13-15. Believer, do not forget the grace that was lavished on your sinful soul! God can do awesome things in the heart of a man, and a nation. Yes He Can.

8 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I think we all just have to have faith in our newly elected President...whether or not we voted for him, right?

Great post!

Anonymous said...

It is very brave to admit what you did. Thank you for joining in on Thankful Thursdays!

OHmommy said...

Great post and we do have much to be thankful about.

Tiffany said...

Tyne, Such a great post! I commend you for your bravery in sharing your views. I agree with you that it is in times like these that we must rely on our faith in our Lord that he has granted us with an opportunity to unite and create change in this wonderful country! Regardless of who we voted for, we must work together and understand our differences as Americans to make this the best Country on Earth. Just my humble $.02

Ron Simpson said...

wonderful post.

I am a conservative Christian. I am a lifelong democrat as well. I was conflicted. I morally oppose abortion. However, as much as some people want to boil this down to one issue, it is far more vast than that.
The same Bible that tells me murder is wrong, tells me that a man that does not feed his family is worse than an infidel. I, sincerely believe that the country is in better financial hands with Obama, and that makes me able to feed my family.

I won't rehash the finger pointing stew that has gone on for the past months. I say this: Obama won. We as citizens of the US, need to get behind him with our support. We, as christians, need to get behind him with our prayers.

Ron
www.won-by-one.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow! I am amazed at this post in SO many ways! I wish more people could have the attitude of unity that you projected here.

LeeAnn said...

Thanks for the perspective check... I have been feeling so convicted to pray for leadership on every level, our nation, our church and our homes and I want to pray with the right heart... Thanks again!

I enjoyed talking to you last night, miss you my friend

Anti-Supermom said...

I recently learned/discovered about myself that it is okay to support someone even if you don't agree with everything on their platform.

This post is so well written.